Monday, February 28, 2011

A cure for cancer...well, almost!

Two months ago I signed on to join the staff at Yellow Ribbon Suicide Prevention Program. I knew that we only had funding in place to pay my salary for two months...but when you've got a proven method of saving lives - especially lives of youth - you would think funding might come a little bit easier.

Although it's not a cure for cancer, it's just as important. I still feel I'm enough of an 'outsider' from Yellow Ribbon to take a look inward and say this without feeling like I'm patting myself on the back - but the training/curriculum that YR has and uses is some damn good stuff. I'm mean, really good quality. The teams that have come together over the past several years to write, edit, proof, rewrite and produce our training curriculum is five star. This is some great material and there is documentation from third parties that it's working - it's teaching a lifeskill that is saving lives - of all ages.

So, when I look at the 'product' and see the impact it is making, and then think of the impact it could be making if expanded into new venues/markets/schools/faith communities/you name it....I feel a bit sick when it's not getting to the people that need it. Let's be honest, everything in society today costs money...again from the outside looking in - Yellow Ribbon does take money to run (like any business), but YR isn't running a multi-million dollar operation (although think of what we could do if we were.) If over 10 million YR cards can be distributed on a annual budget in the neighborhood of $150-165K...what happens if we double that?

To be honest, in eight weeks of being on staff with Yellow Ribbon, I've seen some amazing things happen - and I have faith that even more is around the corner. But, what I hate to see is people learning about YR after they've already lost someone they love. I know we can't save everyone - but I know we can make a bigger difference. A friend and mentor of mine always said that if something wasn't happening (that is part of God's plan), it's simply because someone isn't bringing their piece of the puzzle to the table. I can't help but wonder who out there has the missing pieces to this life-saving suicide prevention puzzle.

In a sense we have a cure for the 'cancer' that is suicide...we just need the bucks to get it out to those who need it.

In closing a verse that has helped me to stay focused these past two months: "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap the harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

~C

2 comments:

pitcher12k said...

I like the Galatians verse...chapter 6 is encouraging :)
Also, I appreciate your honesty, haha I can tell that this is (probably) how you would talk if you were face-to-face with someone, and that is often lost in text-dialog.
But, it is good to see your enthusiasm :) I definitely want to help, but I am not sure if I have the financial capabilities to do so right now :( Do you have suggestions to those of us who want to help but may be unable to financially?

Chris said...

Nick - thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it!

For those that want to help, but are unable to in a financial way there is always something...it's just a matter of finding what someone wants to do to help. The first thing that comes to mind for you is keep working with Nate & Brian on something for UNL. I think something good could come of that!

Next I would say to anyone that wants to support YR - is just talk about it...make a commitment to talk to one new person every day about what YR is, what we're doing and why you believe in it. The thing with non-profits is, it's all about relationships. If you talk to someone about your passion/belief in it you're going to find others who do as well...

Those others could be:
- a survivor of suicide (someone who's lost someone)
- a business owner who wants to donate service that YR needs
- a youth who has struggled with suicidal thoughts and is ready to say enough is enough (sometimes they're the loudest voices for change)
- or someone who has the financial means to write the check.

So, use your influence to influence those in your world (classmates, professors, anyone you can think of) - in some way everyone of us is impacted by teh issue of suicide.

Hope that helps,
~C