Monday, February 23, 2009

40 days...

This Wednesday, Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the season of Lent. Lent - 40 days to refocus, refresh, renew, and reflect on our relationship with Christ. 40 days of preparation.

Preparation for what though? Many take this as a time to "give up" something - candy, pop, smoking, school, etc. But this year I'd like to challenge folks to do two things -

1. Give something up. Take time today, and tomorrow to really search out what is (has been) getting between you and your relationship with Christ. Is it candy or pop? Maybe it's spending so much time on Face Book, or listening to your iPod too much. How about a bad relationship...or surfing the Internet to sites you shouldn't be at. Or could it be the friends you run with, how you treat your parents. Whatever it is...ask God to help you figure that out - and then make that commitment to Give it up for the sake of your relationship with Christ.

2. Pick something up. In addition to taking time today and tomorrow to figure out what to get rid of in your life - I also want to ask you to find something to add to your life too. Something that will help to improve your relationship with Christ. Could be taking a few minutes to (really) pray, or getting into Scripture; you could maybe read a chapter a day (try one of the Gospels), or work to memorize some passages. Maybe you could start spending more time with your family, or meeting with a mentor. It could be any number of things that would help to improve your relationship with Christ.

For both of these, seriously take some time today and Tuesday - talk with G0d, talk with your parents, talk with a mentor and figure it out. There is nothing in this world that is greater than, more important than or more deserving of our time and attention that our God!

Once you've figured out your #1 & #2, I want you to do something - tell someone - obviously I want you to talk to God about it - but tell a parent, mentor, someone to keep you surrounded in prayer over the next 40 days. Comment here too - let me know what you're plan is - I'll be praying for you too!

His,
~C

1 comment:

B. Obermeier said...

This might be hard but I am going to try to give up being stupid and lazy when it comes to my relationship with Christ. I am going to try keep Him in the front of my mind and focus on not screwing myself over cause I don't want to focus on Him, which my guess is because I am doing something He doesn't like. I am going to pick up the Bible for the past couple weeks I droped the Bible pretty hard and would like to continue where I left off.

YOU?