Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Letter to my youth...past & present

Yes, it's true - in the near future I will be stepping down as your Youth Director. I wanted to share some thoughts with those I will miss most in this time of transition...first of all, you need to know I've started conversations with the Session and will be working with Pastor Jeff, & representatives from the Personnel and CE committees to work on a transition plan for when the time comes for me to move on.

My journey to Good Shepherd was a colorful one - prior to making the decision to attend GSPC, I was actually angry at the idea of leaving the church I grew up in - but what I found was a loving God who was gently calling me to a new venture. I still remember the first Sunday I sat in worship at GS. I was welcomed with the open arms and hearts by my GS family.

The great thing is that now, over six years later you can still sense that warm family feel in the halls of Good Shep. I was just a young Youth Ministry guy when Good Shepherd took a risk in bringing me on staff as the Youth Director. Honestly, I don't think either GS or I really knew what we were in for. It's been such a great ride!

Most of this 'great-ride' can be attributed to you. Yes, there were often times when you drove me nuts (some would argue that was your job!) - but don't tell the adults, you didn't drive me as nuts as they did! :-) Each of you helped me to become the person I am today. I've learned so much from having the opportunity to be your Youth Director.

Just as Good Shepherd took a risk, so have you. Many of you trusted me enough to let me enter into your world. You've allowed me to celebrate with you in the times of joy and to be there for you when the pain of your world seemed too much. Some of you listened to my words of advice, and a few of you may have even taken that advice! :-) I am humbled and honored that you gave me permission to be a part of your journey.

The hardest part of accepting the decision to move on from Good Shepherd has been so many of you. It makes me sad that I won't get to have the great conversations with you. What has eased this for me is, knowing that if God has Called me to something new then He has something in store for each of you - and Good Shepherd. I don't know what that is - but knowing the God I know - He will take care of you!

My next step, as God has called is to continue working with youth/teens - but in a new area - suicide prevention. There are too many teens out there who are depressed, self-injurious, and/or suicidal - they need the message that this is not the solution to their challenges, the message of God's Love, and that It's Ok To Ask 4 Help! I would covet your prayers and support as I move into this new role - God knows you all have some of the best ideas on how to help each others - so feel free to send them my way.

If you only take one thing from having me as your Youth Director, I hope and pray that it is a deeper love and understanding of God. I pray that Christ will be the central part of your lives as you continue this journey called life. Remember there is nothing too big or small for God -He is always awake and always listening.

Be good, stay outta trouble and live out what I Timothy 4:12 says!

With Love,
Your Bro In Him,
~C, Chi, Tina, or just Chris!

No comments: