Monday, September 24, 2012

You Can't Make Me...

Sometimes in youth ministry we (youth workers) get frustrated...

* Frustrated that you put all this effort into an event and no one shows...

* Frustrated that the one kid you pour into and try to help, just hasn't had the "light" come on yet...

* Frustrated at the way we do church vs. the way we should do church

* Frustrated that schedules - for kids, families, schools, extra-curriculars, etc...are so busy that choices have to be made.

The last one is what's got me lately...youth are faced with so many schedule choices these days that sometimes it feels like in ministry we're just fighting for attention, or that chance to be noticed "pick me, pick me". Then I realized two things:

1. at some point everyone has to realize "I can't do everything I want, and I need to make a choice."

2. at some point parents have to be parents and make a choice (knowing what is best) for their child.

For example, I know many parents who have said; "as long as you're living under my roof, you will...." (go to church/youth group, do chores, have dinner with the family...)

Then I saw this video - and it got me thinking...



...thinking about when should a parent "make a kid go to a youth ministry event?" As a Youth Leader do I even want kids in my ministry who are not there by their own choosing? If a parent knows an event/ministry will impact & change their child's lives should they sign them up and make them go?

As a Youth Leader I can program an event to death, I can plan for everything that might happen to make it the best possible event for a kid - but at some point - when a kid is there - you just have to let go and realize you've done your part and now it's up to The Spirit to work.

So, parents - what about you? Do you think you should make your kid go on retreats or mission trips, or to youth group each week? Curious to hear your thoughts...

Youth - what do you think?

~C

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm of 2 minds about this. What if I make my child go to the event and he's so resentful that he makes it difficult for others who want to be there? I've seen that happen. Then again, I believe that God uses every situation, whether we see the benefit or not. How's that for wishy-washy?

Chris said...

Thanks Linda - I think I would tend to agree with both of your thoughts. After all God can take any mess we create and make it more than we could imagine!