Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The President, his speech and You!

I did not get a chance to listen to or see President Obama's speech to the students but I happen to see a nice article about it and wanted to share some thoughts and also hear some thoughts (from you - please share your comments here on the blog).

"Every single one of you has something that you're good at. Every single one of you has something to offer," Obama told students

This is so true - everyone has a gift, everyone has a strength...what is yours? (parents; ask your kids/teens what they feel their gift/strength is/are)


"be careful what you post on Facebook. Whatever you do, it will be pulled up again later somewhere in your life."

If only they understood this. Sometimes when people ask me if I'm on Facebook they laugh when I say yes. I think, wait, I'm not that old that it's funny that I'm on FB. In reality I'm there because of my job - it's a tool to connect with students, and it's where they're at, so as a Youth Worker we must go to where they are.

So what is the truth here? Will what kids post on Facebook really come back to haunt them someday? Chances are yes! If you're posting pictures, notes, etc about some of your behavior then colleges, future employers and oops even family may run into it. I've seen some pretty questionable material (photos, videos, links and more) from the youth of Good Shepherd. Ask yourself if that is really a true representation of who you are. Parents, are you on Facebook? If you answered NO and your child is, then I HIGHLY recommend you setup a profile today! My general advice to parents is that if you child is on a social networking site then they have to give unquestioned access to the parents at ANY TIME to their profile.

If you need help setting up a profile and your teen can't or isn't home enough to help you - ask, I'd love to give you some pointers! I've heard it said "if you wouldn't leave your front door unlocked and open overnight, then you shouldn't allow youth 'free' access to places like facebook."


"There is no excuse for not trying" he said in the speech. "Whatever you resolve to do, I want you to commit to it," Obama said. "The truth is, being successful is hard.

If you won't try, then who will do it for you? Regardless of if you voted for him or not, whether you like where his policies are taking us - you have to come together and agree the above statements ring true for our nation. America is not a nation of 'handouts,' if you want to get something or go somewhere in this life you have to try, you must put in the effort. I was once told and I still believe it today that "hard isn't easy, hard builds character." Isn't character what this country needs more of?

The only free gift we get in this life is God's gift of Salvation, and is that really free? In order to receive it we have to accept it and give Him our whole life. Last time I checked living the Christian walk was not easy - but boy is it ever worth it!


So there you have it, some thoughts on the Presidents thoughts - now what are yours?

~C

No comments: