Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Scissors, Straight Talk, & Wisdom

Have you ever sat in a church committee meeting and been threatened with a pair of scissors? Well, I had that pleasure a few years back as part of the Christian Ed. Committee at GS. Now, to give full credit to Ruth I probably deserved it and she was just joking around. However I still give her a hard time about that particular meeting! :-)

Have you ever walked into a room full of quilters at a church only to leave thinking - what just happened? On many occasions I would stop in to visit the quilters on Monday mornings at GS and folks like Ruth & Jackie would, in their words "straighten me out." If I had preached a sermon I was sure to get an honest review from them. If there was something on their mind, I was sure to hear about it. If there was a problem in the world - they would "do their part" to talk about fixing it.

I learned quickly after starting work for Good Shepherd that it was people like this that would never admit it in public, but were some of my strongest supporters. Sure, if they disagreed with something I was doing, I'd hear about it. And maybe they didn't understand youth culture - but I think they trusted that I was doing the right thing for our youth and children. And for that they supported me.

Sadly, this week our church family learned that Ruth was going home under hospice care. This bright, vibrant, full-of-energy, involved in everything at church young lady got notice this week that she get's to go Home. Soon she will face her Creator. I know Ruth supported our youth ministry when she was one of only two "elderly" in our church to respond to my invite/request for them to join us at one of our last lessons for the year - our topic - Legacy. She (and others) were invited because we were talking about the importance of the Legacy that has been laid before us (as younger generations) - I can only hope the youth really paid attention and connected with that idea - because it's the faithful like Ruth who have paved the way for those younger to follow behind.

Hearing the news that Ruth will be joining her husband, her friends that have gone before her and God, gives me a slight sense of joy - for her - joy of what she is about to experience. Death sucks, for us left here....but death is only a new beginning for those in Christ.

I know this about Ruth:
- She wasn't the type to sit around and talk about what needed done in and through the church - she got up and made it happen (everything from quilting, to keeping the library in order, to cleaning) it seemed nothing was off-limits for Ruth!
- She will be missed around the halls of GS, but I have a feeling her presences will remain.
- She kept me in line - and I'm sure the memories of things like the scissors, the wisdom shared in the quilt room and more will continue to do so
- She is leaving a great Legacy - for the youth and children of GS and her family
- She will hear "well done good and faithful servant"

Ruth - we'll miss you, but we look forward to the day we can be reunited in Heaven!

~C

No comments: