Thursday, September 2, 2010

what can you do to save a life?

Friends,

Most of you know by know that I have a passion for working with Yellow Ribbon to help prevent teen suicide. Many of you know that in a strange twist of odd events I've been offered a 'job' with Yellow Ribbon. I put job in '' because it is a real job - it's just that it's a new position with a non-profit...so before the offer is official they want to have funding in place to be able to pay me for the first year. This is where the $50,000 comes in.

Now, just to clarify I'm not taking a $50k paycheck when this job becomes a reality. They arrived at this figure because it would include my pay, taxes, and some start-up expenses for creating a new position - I'd have to have a laptop you know. Because I would be doing some traveling for this job they've also included funds to get me where I would need to be to do my job.

Here is the problem - no, the challenge; we've been at this for many months and we're only about 10% of the way to this first goal. Needless to say it's a tad frustrating. The staff, the board, myself, YR supporters - everyone sees the potential for YR and it's mission in adding another full-time staff. Being an International program I can't for the life of me figure out why with contacts in all 50 states, and a handful of countries we cannot come up with $50k to jump start this thing.

Youth are needlessly ending their lives every day in our country - they need to know they can ask for help. What if $50,000 would save just one life? would it be worth it? When YR gets this donation goal met it will mean a nation-wide awareness campaign & tour of all 50 states, new trainings brought to faith-communities and so much more. I'm guessing $50k is going to help save more than one - either way, it's worth it to get the message of hope to those who are hurting.

Now, I know some of you are thinking $50,000 is a lot of money - but look at it this way:
- It's 5,000 kids (nationwide) giving just $10 each
- It's 20 churches (nationwide) investing in YR as a mission @ $2,500 each
- It's 1,000 couples (nationwide) skipping a $50 date night and donating to YR
- It's 10 business' or business owners becoming a sponsor with a commitment of $5,000
- It's 50,000 people (nationwide) each giving $1 (there are 310,152,403 people in the U.S - I think we could do this one!)

Bottom line it's each of us giving what we can. Together we can help save lives.
Yes, I'm asking you to think about what you can afford to donate to this worthy cause - I'm asking because I care, because I believe in Yellow Ribbon, because I want to see lives saved, and because Stephanie & I have also donated.

I know it's a lofty goal - but if you know me I like to reach for the sky - next week (Sept 5-11) is the 15th Annual Yellow Ribbon Suicide Awareness & Prevention Week - and I think it would be cool to present Dale & Dar, and YR with $50,000 by the end of YR week this year. What a way to launch into the next 15 years.

Will you help? Will you tell your friends, neighbors, co-workers, classmates, the checker at the grocery store, whoever you see in the next week? Today's youth are counting on you! Donations can be made online via the YR website, the YR Facebook Cause, by mailing them in, or if you see me in the next week I'd be happy to get yours sent in with the others I'm collecting. Remember it's a tax deductible donation!

Please don't make the mistake of thinking "Someone else" will step up - we are ALL "Someone else" - so now what can you do?

Thanks for listening and for supporting this cause.
~C

No comments: