Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Stupid, why are they? (104)

My usual morning routine includes reading the news and checking some other online sites (blogs, email, facebook) - I was both impressed and highly disappointed this morning when I signed on line. I found myself asking - why do some teens make such stupid decisions and others are trying...

This stupid part came into play when I saw one teen had linked to another teens video (on You Tube) The first young man I think just made the 'un-mature' decision to link to - saying, 'hey this is funny' - but I fear what a lot of teens are missing is that once you post things on line - it's there, for good! and if you're planning to go somewhere in life, why would you post such stupid and disgusting things that others can see. Honestly if the young man in the video came to me for a job, letter of recommendation or something similar I'd think twice about it.

I was impressed when I read a local news story about a group of local teens who are working on a community garden this summer. There seems to also be plans for them to sell what they grow at a Farmers Market to learn about entrepreneurship. They're trying and I'm impressed!

So, if you find yourself at a fork in the road; make the choice to work in a garden (or something else productive) over posting a stupid (& self-degrading) rap video to your social web sites.

~C

No comments: