Monday, June 1, 2009

You (102)

The young man who usually changes our church sign recently asked me for my opinion of two choices for the next message to go up on display.

The result:
You're Not too bad to come in
You're Not too good to stay out

Now I have to say, when he first asked me I really liked this choice - but I said - will the 'church' really get it? Will they understand that it applies to all of us? His reply was that if he didn't put it up there was no chance of anyone getting it...I saw his point. So, if you drive by our church this is the message you'll ready. But I wonder - what does it mean to you?

You see, the point of the message is that we the church cannot and should not 'keep people' out of the church because they're 'too bad' - the sin in their lives is too bad to be at church. Honestly - that's like asking sick people to get better before coming into the Emergency Room...doesn't make much sense does it?

On the other hand - those of who think we've got it all together - well we need the church more than ever. When the human side gets to us we start to think more highly of ourselves than we should...we start comparing the sin in our lives to that in others - well that's not how God works. In God's eyes we're equal. So, we need to start by looking in (the plank in our own eye) at the sin in our lives and start seeking the help and guidance we are supposed to find at church.

Okay, that's my two cents on the new church sign...what about you?

~C

1 comment:

pitcher12k said...

i like the new sign message!

what does it mean to me....well i think you put it well, it is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick(Matthew something) and we all need God(Romans 3:23-24), even when/if we don't remember it. I'm not sure where, but i think that somewhere in the Bible it says that it is God who wakes us up every day.. and I know fo sho in Deuteronomy it says somewhere that everything we get is from God. also that He makes the rain come down on the righteous and unrighteous. lots of stuff about that. we all need God, regardless of situation. its good, because without Him....well all that awaits us is death. twice.
ouch.

also! ill post it on my blog. ehe ttyl :)